The Blog Squad

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

This may sound like whining...

But I have a good reason. Can someone please, please, please start a larger-sized club in Richmond that will draw major acts? I keep noticing the same thing: A band I like has a date at the 9:30 Club in D.C., then skips to the Norva in Norfolk and then possibly to Charlottesville Pavilion. Or some variation thereof. Not that I mind driving an hour or two to see a band, but after a while, it gets old.

To back my point: Ryan Adams, X and Henry Rollins, even Ryan Cabrera. Not that we're lobbying for him to come to Richmond. But it's annoying that there's not even a proper venue for these folks if they wanted to play here. We have room for big concerts (like the American Idols at the Coliseum), and Innsbrook gets some famous (if not always at peak-of-freshness) singers and bands. But that's just in the summer time. Smaller clubs give local bands a break. But there's definitely a gap.

What Richmond needs is the Flood Zone. And to take a page from the Norva, make it non-smoking. Just for me. Please?

2 Comments:

At Tue Jul 18, 04:54:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toad's Place looks promising, in that regard. I hear the capacity would rival the current 9:30 Club.

 
At Thu Jul 20, 10:36:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! As the GM of the upcoming Toad's Place, the associated (and as yet unnamed) restaurant and the outdoor lounge on the canal (now open - Thurs-Sat; 5pm-midnight) called Ripple, I want to let you know that we are now and have been (for 3 years) working on just such a place.

As for the other poster, we are expecting capacity around 1500 people as opposed to the 9:30's 1200-ish.

I am glad you like the layout, although it has been refined somewhat from what you have seen. I am a bit surprised that you had not heard of this project, as it has had significant press coverage in RTD, Style, Richmond.com and -yes- a huge spread this Spring in Richmond Magazine. Let me know if you need any more info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home