The Blog Squad

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Memo to Ukrop's: Your slip is showing

I am going to start this rant with a nice story first. Last week at the Stony Point Ukrop's, the gentleman who took my bags (and my son, on the bottom of the cart) out to my car chatted with me about young kids and gave me some good advice: "Don't give them dessert until they've done a little chore first ..." He called my son by his nickname and wished us a happy Thanksgiving. This is the level of folks I expect to encounter at Ukrop's. So imagine my horror yesterday to be not so much greeted by as sniffed at by a young man at a Ukrop's cash register who barely stopped for breath in his conversation with the bagger, a young woman who seemed like a social friend. Plans were discussed for the weekend, blah blah blah ... Bad enough. Then when another employee needed to squeeze behind him he used a pretty graphic sexual phrase to which the bagger added something about "copping a feel." Dude, I am not deaf. Nor am I so completely bent double with age that I have no idea what the hip and happening youth of today are talking about. Shut up and do your job. I do not expect the complete graciousness of that Stony Point employee out of everyone, but I at least expect that I'm not going to be subjected to dirty talk while you're bagging my rotisserie chicken. Perhaps I shouldn't pick on Ukrop's because customer service is slipping everywhere. I hate to sound exactly like I am bent double with age, but there is a lack of work ethic that seems endemic to any generation that ends in a letter (mine included). But I also must point out Ukrop's specifically because the chain has built its reputation and earned this community's respect because of the high quality of its employees and customer service. The army of Stepford employees at Ukrop's is a thing of the past. I loved that army. You still find, by and large, warm and welcoming employees; however, this incident was by no means the only time I've noticed a lesser degree of service at Ukrop's, but it was certainly the most offensive. So I'm giving a big Poo-Poo on You to Ukrop's for letting their standards slip even the tiniest bit.

5 Comments:

At Tue Nov 29, 09:05:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i couldn't agree with you more. i expect good customer service from ukrops and i will stop going there if this type of behavior continues. i find it very annoying when i'm ignored while purchasing my groceries

 
At Fri Dec 02, 01:35:00 PM EST, Blogger Debbie said...

You could always go to 'Food Kitty', where they don't train their employees at all, when it comes to how to deal with the public.

 
At Sun Dec 04, 09:02:00 AM EST, Blogger Janet Freisner said...

no thanks! no matter what, i'm still a ukropian!

 
At Tue Dec 27, 11:07:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too, have noticed some Ukrops locations excell in customer service..like my local Chesterfield Meadows location while another, just five miles away in Bermuda Square Chester can at times be worse than a Food Lion. The sweet older men working at the Chesterfield location make the higher prices I pay at Ukrops worth it. The teens at the Chester location make it feel like any other grocery store.....

 
At Wed Dec 28, 01:54:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have shopped Ukrop's for years out of loyalty to a local merchant. On the last SEVERAL times while checking out I've noticed that Ukrop's registers do not give the sale prices. I always have to go to the " customer service" desk to receive the overcharge. How many people each and every day are OVERCHARGED by this local company?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home