The Blog Squad

Friday, March 23, 2007

The E-Train's Quick Richmond Stop


Elliott Yamin’s hometown fans had yet another chance to meet the American Idol finalist this past Wednesday, but what exactly did it take to do so? Apparently, people started lining up at Circuit City as early as 7a.m., some skipping work, some skipping school to be one of the first to get Yamin’s new album autographed.

Fortunately, as a representative of the magazine, I was able to join other media folks and spend some time with Elliott without waiting in line. I had a chance to snap some photos of Yamin when he first arrived through the back service door of the store. And his suave-looking manager was kind enough to have Yamin autograph our poster-size version of the July 2006 cover with Yamin. It was a bit surreal to see the new shaggy-haired, chiclet-toothed Yamin staring at his cover shot from a year ago, before he transformed his look.

After the press had a few minutes with him, Yamin settled down at his autograph table, his mother by his side, and I switched hats to be a fan — which means I went to the back of the line. I did want Elliott to autograph my own memorabilia, and I was willing to wait. At that point, the end of the line was three-quarters of the way around the outside of Circuit City. I was lucky I had a few friends around to chat with during the wait. Slowly but surely, we made our way to the entrance, with Circuit City reps stopping by to let us know the rules (no posed photos allowed) and Q94’s Melissa Chase saying hello. Once inside the doors, the line went straight to the back of the store, turned to the right, and headed back to the front where Yamin was sitting. Occasional screams from female fans added to the energy of the scene, but to our disappointment, Yamin made a sudden exit at exactly 8p.m. to catch a flight back to Los Angeles. More than a few pre-teen girls were left in tears after having waited more than two hours to see their idol. I felt for them, of course, and was glad I got those first few minutes with Yamin at the beginning.

Portia Zwicker
Circulation Manager

1 Comments:

At Tue Mar 27, 04:23:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this blog and loved it. I too was standing in line waiting for a signature from Elliott.

I was out of state all last American Idol Season and followed him from about 1/2 way through the season. It is really funny because I did not even know he was from Richmond until 1/2 way through. I had a BLAST watching when the final 4 got to go back to their hometowns. It was Tivo'd for me and I watched the parade, the concert at the James center, and Him at the Diamond about 6 times, no lie. I wanted to see the person that I went around boasting about being from MY hometown.

On the other hand, when I was waiting in line with some friends, I heard lots of cheering and then saw Elliott running out of the back door with security, etc. I figured that since he had that huge Starbucks, well....I guess you figure that out, but he did not come back and there were promoters and Circuit City Reps letting us know that he needed to catch a plane back to LA to tape Ellen that will be airing today @ 4pm on NBC12.

I was a little disappointed, but not as much as all of his pre-teen fans. As I was walking out of the store to leave, I could not help to feel for all of the younger fans having their tears wiped from their eyes by their parents.

Now that does not inhibit my decision of buying this CD for my own listening enjoyment. I look forward to seeing Elliott when he comes back to RIC to tour when that comes up.

YOU GO ELLIOTT, REPRESENT THE "RIC" AND MAKE US PROUD!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home